Green Alliance’s Climate Leadership Programme aims to:
- Support back bench MPs to strengthen their understanding of the science, policy and politics of climate change.
- Enable politicians to develop strong networks with thought leaders, practitioners and influential institutions on this crucial agenda.
- Provide the expertise and resources needed by MPs to undertake political interventions that will help get the UK on track to net zero.
Previous achievements of Green Alliances Climate Leadership Programme:
- Dinners with relevant frontbenchers following each workshop session, including dinners with Rt Hon Ed Miliband MP, Rt Hon Greg Clark MP, and Rt Hon Simon Hughes MP.
- Fringe events at the 2011, 2012 and 2013 autumn party conferences, featuring MPs involved in the programme as speakers or roundtable participants.
- Constituency voices projects (2013-2014), working with MPs in small cross-party groups, running constituency focused projects on low carbon initatives and possibilities for improving climate adaptation and resilience.
- We have been a trailblazer for climate citizen juries and have been vital to the set-up of a forthcoming national citizen assembly.
- Our latest activity (Feb 2020), included two climate leadership events designed specifically for new Labour and Conservative MPs, in which they heard from expert speakers such as Chris Stark, Chief Executive of the Committee on Climate Change. The MPs were also able to explore exactly what’s needed and how critical their role is in getting the UK on track to net zero by 2050.
“The UK has committed to achieving net zero carbon emissions by 2050 in order to tackle the climate crisis. It’s essential that there is strong political leadership to ensure the policy is put in place to achieve this target and that’s why Green Alliance’s Climate Leadership Programme for MPs is so important. Green Alliance has played a crucial part in providing new MPs with an informative set of briefings about climate change and in helping to build cross-party support behind positive action.”
Chris Stark, Chief Executive, the Committee on Climate Change
“I was very impressed with Green Alliance’s Climate Leadership Programme. They were thorough, thoughtful and open to recognising the challenges facing different parts of the country. I also felt that the process helped me as an MP to improve my understanding of the successes and obstacles facing the Green Deal in my area. I would thoroughly recommend taking part in the programme.”