On Wednesday 25 January 2023 Greener UK ran this online event to discuss the state of play in developing and implementing new environmental governance systems across the UK.
We were joined by the leaders of the new independent bodies who have been established to hold governments across the UK to account on their environmental laws and progress to protect and improve the environment.
Our natural environment faces many threats, from climate change to species decline to water pollution. As the new ways of ensuring progressive and sustained environmental action bed down, this will be a rare opportunity to hear from representatives across the UK’s new environmental watchdogs.
Our expert panel discussed these issues followed by an audience Q&A.
- Chair: Ruth Chambers, Senior fellow, Greener UK
- Dame Glenys Stacey, Chair, Office for Environmental Protection
- Dr Nerys Llewelyn Jones, Interim Environmental Protection Assessor for Wales
- Jim Martin, Chair, Environmental Standards Scotland
- Malcolm Beatty, Northern Ireland Non-Executive Member of the Office for Environmental Protection
Greener UK is a coalition of 10 major environmental organisations, with a combined public membership of over 8 million.
We came together to ensure that environmental protections are maintained and enhanced during the Brexit process, particularly through ambitious domestic legislation.