The future of the UK steel industry is uncertain with, as of yet, no agreement between government and industry on transitioning the country’s two largest steelmaking sites towards net zero steelmaking.
At the same time, buyers of steel globally and in the UK are increasingly demanding greener steel and looking to use steel more efficiently.
Green Alliance’s new report A brighter future for UK steel explores future demand for steel in the UK, whether the UK steel industry can meet this demand and trends around better use of steel.
On Wednesday 30 August 2023, our expert panellists from industry and academia will give their perspectives on steel decarbonisation and resource efficiency and explore some of the opportunities and challenges, for the sector and its customers, in meeting demand for greener and leaner steel.
The discussion was followed by an audience Q&A.
- Chair: Roz Bulleid, research director, Green Alliance
- Verner Viisainen, policy analyst, Green Alliance
- Dr Philippa Horton, business manager, The Use Less Group, University of Cambridge
- Bill Firth, general manager, Business Development, European Metal Recycling Ltd
- Jen Carson, Head of Industry, Climate Group