Reinventing retrofit

Scaling up home energy efficiency in the UK


The UK has the least energy efficient housing stock in Europe. It is estimated that more than 3,000 people die every year due to the cold, unable to afford warm homes. Heating our homes is also a major source of carbon emissions.

To meet its climate targets, the UK has an ambition to retrofit all homes to EPC band C standard by 2035. But only 29 per cent of homes today meet this standard, and the UK’s current policy approach is nowhere near ambitious enough to tackle the remaining 71 per cent.

For this project, we looked at a new approach to retrofit known as Energiesprong (energy leap), which could provide the transformation needed in the domestic buildings sector.

Read our report:


This project was generously funded by the Zero Energy Buildings Catalyst (ZEBCat) project, supported by the European Regional Development Fund and being led by Devon County Council from 2017 to 2020.

Explore our work

We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details.

Accept Cookies

What are cookies?